Saturday, April 7, 2012

What is teaching?

Is it imparting knowledge to waiting minds? Is it leading children to learning? Is it providing opportunities for children to learn for themselves? Is it back and forth conversations between teacher and learner?
I think it can be all of these things or none of these things. Each year I teach, the class dynamic is different. So different in fact, that even though the curriculum is the same, the method for teaching it can be vastly different. Each student's needs require me to analyze what it is that I am teaching and decide what is the best method for that class. I may even decide to change what I am doing based on the class dynamic for the day.
So what is teaching?
I guess for me it is the day to day interactions with the students that result in the students retaining knowledge. How this is accomplished depends greatly on the curriculum and the students, but one thing is certain: the days of lecture and note taking or drill and kill worksheets for ALL concepts is a thing of the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment